Skip to main content

Make a Glittery Valentine Card with Packing Tape!


My Valentine Card using embossing and a glittery heart made using masking tape.

Please scroll to post's end to view Challenges for Valentine's if you're interested.  

Hello, hope you are visiting my blog from some sunny part of the world because it is cold beyond belief here - brrrrr!   However, I "warmed" up my spirit playing around with lots and lots of techniques and fun ideas to celebrate Valentine's Day this year!  

One technique I have never tried till now was to make a take a small strip of clear packing tape and douse it with glitter - it looked so fun to do - and it was!  Give it a try. 

 Create an opening cut out of  piece of cardstock using your preferred method [punch, die-cut, scissors] and back it with a strip of clear packing tape and then sprinkle dry glitter over the exposed sticky tape and in seconds you have a cool glittery accent :)

CARD HOW-TO

I first played around with embossing folders and inks. I simply swiped different ink colours over embossed cream cardstock, and for this card I chose to work with the Moroccan Cuttlebug Embossing Folder.


I really love the random strokes of colour paired with the smoky brown ink!

I then took a heart die and cut out my heart and then backed the heart-shaped opening with the tape

I choose to make a custom colour of glitter by combining orange and red glitter with a wee bit of white to get a peachy-shade. This is also fun to do - its like playing at being a kid again :), and as I mentioned earlier shook the glitter all over the heart shape where it stuck to the exposed sticky tape. Using my fingertips, I pressed the glitter down and shook off the loose glitter...looks great, its more pretty in person, trust me. 

Afterwards I matted my embossed-glittered piece.  Now my peach card base was prepped by embossing using the Script Cuttlebug Folder, and laying down ribbon. Because the ribbon ends might show through the heart, I die cut another heart out of white cardstock and placed it down where it would match up with the glittered heart....hope that makes sense!   I mounted the card front to the base using 3D foam dots. 




I added accents of copper stickers [key, corners] and a ribbon bow, twine and gems.

Voila - I really like how the card came together....and in fact, I do not have a key die but I've decided I liked the heart/key combination so much I will have to buy one! 

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!


Supplies
Inks [Memento, Stampin' Up!], various cardstock, Cuttlebug Embossing Folders, glitter, foil stickers,
satin ribbon, twine, Heart Framelits die, clear packing tape, foam tape, foam dots, glue dots, Big Shot




CHALLENGE ENTRIES






Comments

Michelle Looi said…
clever use to create the background! Nice effecT!
Thanks for sharing at Use Your Stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.