Skip to main content

Easter Baking Lemon Meringue Cupcakes

Happy Easter!

No, I'm kidding!  I'm just a teeny-weeny behind with my blogging, but I DID want to share this recipe I discovered this Easter: Lemon Meringue Cupcakes, fab-u-loso! Yum yum yum that's all I have to say.
Now that I know the little secret for the recipe, I am going to try it with other flavours.

Here is how I created these little gems....{scroll to bottom for recipe}....prep your cupcake tins.

First, zest some lemons.

Make your batter using a light coloured cake mix {yellow,white, etc.} and ADD the secret ingredient: reduced-fat SOUR CREAM ! Yep- you read right (grin).  Believe it or not this recipe has been revised to a lightened version with 139 calories and 4 g fat per cupcake, out of a batch of 24.  Uh-huh...you can feel a little less quilty, lol.  

Add your zest to the batter...divide into cupcake liners - pretty close to the top. I wasn't too sure about how high to pile the batter and I was using my first "foil-lined" cupcake liners, and in the end I think I could of added more batter....use your own judgement and/or experience. Mine baked right to the rim and not over, so maybe more batter?  

Bake and cool cupcakes on rack(s), and prep your ICING - really gets good here!!!

I cheated.  The recipe calls to make your own meringue, but I used Dream Whip powder.  Mainly because we couldn't find meringue powder in our grocery...???  We are new at this, sooooo...we stressed our brains and decided Dream Whip sounded ok, and it worked!  Ice the cooled cupcakes. Again, I made another choice....recipe: "stir in remaining lemon zest " ....well, I opted to place it carefully on top of the icing where I also chose NOT to bake the icing!  Too much for moi, and it was just as delicious I'm sure! Looks pretty too, wouldn't you say? 


...my peeps checking out the goodies!  

AND I have to add this pic.....I couldn't say how many times I intend to use over-ripe bananas for
some classic BANANA BREAD....but I did it, here's the proof....


...not too shabby, and it was good!

Hope I make my easter post next year on time, lol :)

Supplies: 3 lemons, light coloured cake mix, water, reduced-fat sour cream, 4 eggs, canola oil (or similar)
sugar, meringue powder (or Dream Whip type), cupcake liners, cupcake tin for 24, toothpicks, metal or foil tray for cupcake pan support, mixer, basic baking tools. 
OVEN: 350 degrees

Prep your lemons into zest: 2 TBs and 2 tsp and thin lemon zest strips. 
Prep your cupcake tin with the cupcake liners - set aside.
Set up mixer, and have basic baking tools handy, chill 1 mixing bowl for meringue - ditto with beaters.

CUPCAKE RECIPE
1 package yellow cake mix 
1 1/3 cups water
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream 
3 egg whites
1 egg
3 TBs oil
2 TBs lemon zest

ICING RECIPE
1/2 cup cold water
12 TBs sugar
2 TBs meringue powder * - or 1 pack Dream Whip
2 tsp lemon zest
lemon strips


METHOD
On low speed: beat cake mix, water, sour cream, egg whites, egg and oil till just combined, 30 secs.  Increase to medium speed and beat 2 mins.
Stir in 2 TBs lemon zest.
Divide batter among cupcake liners.
Bake 18 mins - or till toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.
Cool 10 mins.
Remove from cupcake tin to rack(s) to cool 10 mins or more. 

{NOTE: I reused by washing my Kitchen Aid's bowl and placed in freezer with beater to chill fast for the next step}

On medium speed: beat water 6 TBs meringue powder until combined. ** See option below
Gradually beat in remaining sugar while watching mix to form SOFT peaks - 5mins, 5 mins more?
Stir in remaining zest ( 2 tsp).
Spread over cupcakes. 
Place on metal or foil tin and bake at 425 degrees until lightly browned {watch!}
Cool.
Add lemon strips as garnish. 

** OPTION #2: as I said, I used Dream Whip - 1 package following direction on package, and I DID NOT bake them but served up the 'chilled whip' topped with zest and zest strips as garnish over cooled cupcakes. I would next time, add a little more flavour with more lemons or lemon flavouring, but it was tasty- really nice!  VERY nice!

SOURCE: Womans World Feb 22, 2010






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gothic Birthday Card

 Have a friend who appreciates the gothic sensibilities? Then dig into your creative spirit and look at the norm through a wonderful, rich and dark prism!  I chose a designer paper with a fab colour set. Next why do butterflies when a moth will be better?  Here Tim Holtz’s Funky Insects die set does the trick. To make it a tad interesting I placed a pocket inside and crafted a ATC which doubled as a coffee gift card holder. A second large tag holds my message. Well crafters, explore your options and enjoy!

Funky Insects Tim Holtz - first projects

  Funky Insects Thinlits Dies (not including bee die shown upper left ) Tim Holtz's Funky Insects are a hoot to play with. I am just playing to discover the million-gazillion ways to colour each bug and not concerned with how to design projects featuring them yet. Here's a tall slimline card, an A2 card and an ATC that l've created so far. To get inspired, you only have to look at the amazing designers that contribute to Tim's Chapter releases such as this year's Chapter 2 release.  To be honest, l was not bothered cutting so many parts for the different insects as l thought l might be....time flew by as l cut batches of the body 'base' and then spent most of my time inking, embossing, painting, etc the wings and body sections. There lies the fun!

Easter "Scallop Circle" Chick Card

Isn't this the cutest!  The second I laid eyes on the card which inspired me - I was OMG !  So I had to do one! IT'S A  EASY - QUICK 5 MIN. PROJECT!  GREAT KIDS PROJECT!  We made ours  after having breakfast  and  in no time flat! Technique: You can see from the pictures that you must fold your cardstock at the 5-1/2 mark, and CUT the Scallop Circle LEAVING A SMALL PART OF THE FOLD OVERHANGING THE CIRCLE OUTLINE - that is how you make a card - and not 2 Scallop Circles. A small scallop punch is cut into wedges - those make up the wings. Punch your other parts, fold the square on the diagonal for its beak, then glue everything on. We highlighted the eyes and beak - voila! Basic Supplies:  CARDSTOCK: 11x8 in. yellow, 1 in square orange scrap, black scrap; BIG SHOT XL BIGZ DIE: Scallop Circle; HAND PUNCHES:  flower, scallop circle (any size), small circle punch; Other:  1" square orange cardstock, white gel pen, glue.